Followers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Spanking of the Day Award.....

My spanking of the day, award, goes to "Aldi's" grocery store.

In this day of so many people going hungry, do you really need to be throwing your waste into the dumpster? Its pretty sad when a loaf of bread that seems fresher than one I purchased in this very store the day before, is retrieved from you dumpster. I ohhh and ah over your fresh produce, but, leave it in the store many times because the prices do no meet my budget. Only to find the next day it comes to my house via an older gentlemen who has taken to dumpster diving.




Here is an idea. Why not offer what you deem as unacceptable in the stores at a reduced rate to your customers? If that don't meet your criteria, how about donating to one of several feeding programs in our community? Many elderly shut ins would love to have some fresh produce however the budgets for the senior citizens programs have been slashed to where at times, all they can afford is a small can of soup , a few crackers and perhaps a hospital sized container of juice.

Shame on you, Aldi's.

8 comments:

  1. They used to be able to do that, but I know in this area there have been crack downs and they are forced to throw it out. The Boards of Health have ruled they cannot pass it on it must be destroyed. There is a move to at least compost the unused food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed a few grocery stores around here will sell the old stuff for pennies. I have stocked up on old bread (makes great stuffing or bread pudding) for a nickel, salad or fruit that I can eat that day. Some I can freeze for breads, like bananas. We have and independent store in town that will sell meats and things for a quarter just to move it out. A time or two I have seen a "free with purchase" type thing. I do know that particular store will send the days goodies home with employees before they throw it away. What does get tossed is completely unusable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just wrong Bailey. A grocery chain I worked for sent outdated milk and bakery goods,donuts and rolls, to feed the jail population. Another group that feed the homeless also recieved many donations of pulled off the shelf outdated product.

    These are sell by dates only!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To much food goes to waste these days when so many people struggle just to eat enough to stay alive. Aldi's is not the only store that needs a spanking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that with so many people going hungry they do this. I hope they wise up because I really do like shopping there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sad that you find it in the trash when it is still worth eating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The older Gentleman, who is doing the dumpster diving, worked and retired from a well known oil company. Unfortunately, the company, managing the employees retirement, invested it all in Enron. Everything was lost, and they are now living on the meager social security. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete