Followers

Friday, May 13, 2011

Two for One Rant Day! Hastings Book Buy Back and LIHEAP

First off, I am not always as grumpy as I sound on this blog. It just a way to put information out there for the general public.

I read some online reviews on the Hastings book buy back program. Those reviews convinced me this was the way to remove some clutter from the homestead.

Loading up three large canvas shopping bags, off I headed to town. My collection consists mainly of hardback, first printings, of Stephen King Novels. All in excellent condition. My vision, after reading the reviews, was to come out with approx 130.00, store credit.

Complete joke. It took all I had to not come home with my books. Clearing clutter was the goal, not padding my pocketbook, so , yes, I did go ahead and leave my collection at the store. Very disappointed. After all was said and done, my choice was a measly 20.00 store credit, or 12.00 in cash.

My advice to anyone else thinking of going this route, don't. Find another way to get your books into the hands of someone who would like to read them. This was really hiway robbery. Having browsed their used book selection previously, they sell these very hardcovers starting from 9.00 up to 14.99. I can't even comprehend that amount of markup. Donate to a library or local jail instead. You clutter will be gone and you could feel good about the decision to get rid of it.


Ok, then. On to my second gripe. LIHEAP. For anyone not familiar, it stands for, Oklahoma Low-Income Energy Help. This is what most states utilized stimulus monies for. If you meet the income guidelines, you qualified for new windows, doors, heat/air unit, hot water tank blanket, insulation, those low wattage bulbs, and also , insulation for the attic.

Its a very long process, start to finish. First there was all the paperwork to find out if you qualify, then an appointment to measure the doors and windows and inspect your heat and air, along with checking your current insulation.

My Mother in law, qualified. She lives alone, and survives on her social security check. Not sure if her handicapp status, she is wheelchair bound along with o2 dependent, gave her extra points or not.

First off, the windows they put in, are aluminum, are not double pane, and they resemble storm windows. The sit on the outside of her window frames, leaving the entire sill inside the house open. Her hands are so crippled up, she is not able to open nor close them. Yes, they are better than the single pane/glazed windows she had, but, at least she could push them up.

Second, they removed a gas heater from her house, that kept her plenty warm and worked in case of power outtages. This was replaced by a smaller, wall heater with a fan, that is too small. It does not heat her home well, even with new windows and doors. That is not the worst of it. The thing has broken down 3 times already.

We have a cold front that caused our temps to dive. The lows for tonight are forcasted to be 42. My husband attempted to light this heater, and it would not light. He has now gone in search of a new thermacoupler, because, guess what, the warranty expired last month. It just does not seem right. How can the warranty expire on a part that is now going to be replaced for the third time in the last year????

I am sure the LIHEAP program looks good on paper. It was supposed to save these folks from enourmous utility bills. However, as it turns out, the utility rates have increased so much, that this was of no help to her monthly budget, and our electric company just announced for the second time this year, another 3% increase, beginning in July. Ok, well maybe it will keep her from paying out even more, but, that was not part of the plan.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday! I went in with the expectation of maybe at least ten bucks because I was selling some perfect condition books- all of which I knew to be popular teen novels or classics. The most valuable was $18 in the store (which is what I had bought it for only six months ago).
    They took six books for only $3.75, and, what's more, they're going to be able to turn around and sell that book for at least $8.
    Good for you for letting people know that they are NOT what they seem when it comes to buy-backs. People should know so they don't get ripped off like we did.

    ReplyDelete